Update: More Upcoming ULI events. ULI Global Calendar of Events
Improve Access to Education and Better Health for a Brighter American Future, Says Political Analyst Bakari SellersSpeaking at the 2020 ULI Virtual Fall Meeting, CNN political analyst and former state representative from South Carolina Bakari Sellers said he has two questions for America in 2020: “How far have we come, and where do we go from here?” Sellers was elected to the lower house of South Carolina’s state legislature in 2006 at the age of 22, defeating a 26-year incumbent and becoming the youngest African American elected U.S. official at the time. Read More
- 2020-10-26 13:51:34 ULI MEMBER-ONLY CONTENT: As other segments of the real estate business adjust to challenges presented by the COVID-19 pandemic and economic recession, the industrial sector is looking to capitalize on greater demand for its facilities resulting from the explosion of e-commerce, panelists said at a Trends and Outlooks session during the ULI Virtual Fall Meeting.
- 2020-10-19 14:06:04 ULI-MEMBER ONLY CONTENT: At the 2020 ULI Virtual Fall Meeting, each Innovation Partner was featured in a short, on-demand fireside chat session during which a company representative was joined by another Greenprint member to talk through the technology or service offering and how it advances sustainability for the industry.
- 2020-10-19 14:01:18 ULI MEMBER-ONLY CONTENT: The pandemic has triggered a bigger decline in hotel and resort revenues (measured by revenue per available room) than the previous five economic crises combined, said panelists speaking on the hotel and resort sector outlook during the 2020 ULI Virtual Fall Meeting.
- 2020-10-15 15:43:41 Despite the office sector’s current bleak outlook, the longer-term outlook is much rosier, speakers said at the ULI Virtual Fall Meeting.
- 2020-10-15 15:23:40 A three-part series of interviews at the 2020 ULI Virtual Fall Meeting examines the issues that have led to underinvestment in neighborhoods that have been predominantly African American, displacement that can occur as part of gentrification, and other topics.
- 2020-10-15 15:04:40 Zanny Minton Beddoes, editor in chief of the Economist, outlined several trends accelerated by the global COVID-19 pandemic in a presentation at the ULI Virtual Fall Meeting.
- 2020-10-15 14:50:43 Because their decisions are lasting, real estate professionals must lead the way to cutting carbon emissions by 50 percent in this decade, and then by 100 percent by 2050, Spencer Glendon, senior fellow at the Woodwell Climate Research Center, told participants in ULI’s Virtual Fall Meeting. He exhorted real estate leaders to pressure others for change, even to beg for regulation, in order to avoid potentially chaotic migrations as people eventually abandon areas rendered undesirable or even uninhabitable by rising temperatures and drought. “You can’t do this alone. You must demand better regulation,” he said.
Developers Simply Focused on “What Would Work” in Creating Mission Bay Project, They Tell WLI Session2020-10-15 13:11:35 Three San Francisco developers discuss focusing on “what would work” in order to create the city’s Mission Bay mixed-use development, during the WLI session at the 2020 ULI Virtual Fall Meeting
Beyond Amenity Status: How Demanding Sustainability and Health in Multifamily Buildings Is a Winning Strategy for All2020-10-15 12:45:24 Multifamily housing experts have seen financial and energy savings, plus improved resident retention, from their efforts in sustainability, health, and reduced energy use.
Focus on People to Ameliorate Longstanding Health and Social Effects of Redlining and Other Racist Policies, Panelists Advise2020-10-14 13:43:41 Government policies of racial segregation and redlining have had generations-long effects on the health and well-being of urban inhabitants, attendees heard at the ULI Virtual Fall Meeting panel titled “Deconstructing Segregation: Understanding Local History as a Basis for Equitable Development.” Action will be required if we wish to change those outcomes now.