A jury composed of ULI full members has selected the winners of the 2019 ULI Asia Pacific Awards for Excellence, recognizing and celebrating a diverse group of projects that showcase best land use practice from across the region.
The winners are:
- Aoyama Building, Minato-ku, Tokyo, Japan. Developer: GreenOak Investment Management K.K.; co-owner: Mitsubishi Estate Co. Ltd.
- Barrack Place, 151 Clarence Street, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. Developer: Investa Property Group; owner: IOF Custodian Pty Ltd.; designers: Architectus Group Pty Ltd.
- COFCO Landmark Plaza, Dongcheng, Beijing, China. Developer: COFCO Group; designers: Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP, Beijing Institute of Architectural Design, Arup, SWA Group, China Building Technique Group Co. Ltd., Francis Krahe & Associates Inc., Zhaoyiheng Lighting Design (Beijing) Co. Ltd.
- Fish Lane, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Developer: Aria Property Group; owner: Brisbane City Council; designers: Archipelago, RPS, Urbis, Firefly Lighting.
- Guoco Tower, Singapore, Singapore. Developer: Guocoland; designers: Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP, Samsung Contractors, A61 Pte Ltd., Arup Pte Ltd., Arup ESD Pte Ltd., Meinhardt Pte Ltd., Wilson Associates, Lighting Planners Associates Pte Ltd., Cicada Pte Ltd.
- Knowledge and Innovation Community (KIC), Shanghai, China. Developer: Shui On Land; designers: Skidmore, Ownings & Merrill LLP, Palmer & Turner, Atkins, Charpentier Architecture Design, Terry Farrell & Partners, Tongji Design Institute, BWSS, Gensler, Tianhua, Leigh & Orange, Hassell, 3XN, AECOM, EMBT.
- Lingnan Tiandi LNTD Lot 1, Foshan, Guangdong, China. Developer: Shui On Land; designers: Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP, Ben Wood Studio Shanghai.
- Nex Tower, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines. Developer: Nova Group; designers: Skidmore, Owings and Merrill LLP, R. Villarosa Architects, Nova Construction, Sy2 Associates.
- Pacific Place, Admiralty, Hong Kong SAR, China. Developer: Swire Properties Limited; designers: Wong and Ouyang (HK) Ltd., Heatherwick Studio, AFSO.
- People’s Place, Kai Yip Recreation Centre, Kowloon Bay, Hong Kong SAR, China. Developer: Gaw Capital Partners–led consortium; designer: SLAB, Trilingua Design, One Bite Social Design.
“Asia Pacific is home to many exemplary projects,” said Nicholas Brooke, chairman of ULI Asia Pacific. “All the winners of this year’s award demonstrate best practice in land use and continue to push the industry forward while putting people first.”
“Our 2019 jury embarked on a thorough evaluation process and lively debate, and it was quite difficult to choose just 10 winners from a very strong short list,” added Ame Engelhart, ULI trustee and jury chair, who is a director of Skidmore, Owings, Merrill. “The projects that the jury finally settled on come from a variety of countries and represent a broad mix of development typologies and the wide diversity of the real estate market across the Asia Pacific region.”
The ULI Asia Pacific Awards for Excellence program recognizes superior development efforts across the region in the private, public, and nonprofit sectors. Projects and programs are evaluated according to the extent to which they
- achieve marketplace acceptance/financial success;
- achieve a high standard of excellence in all areas—architecture, design, planning, construction, amenities, economics, and management, etc.;
- demonstrate relevance to the contemporary and future needs of the community in which they are located;
- have a positive impact in their communities and/or immediate context;
- exhibit environmental sustainability, stewardship, and resilience; and
- provide models, lessons, strategies, or techniques that other communities can replicate or adapt.
In addition to Engelhart, the jury was made up of Asia Pacific leaders Bob Pratt, Tishman Speyer; Donald Choi, Chinachem Group; Han Lo, Tatami; Hong Soo Lee, Seoul Housing & Communities Corporation; Kerrie Muskens, Brookfield; Ong Choon Fah, Edmund Tie & Company; Peter Holland, Cistri; Rebecca Cheng, KPF; and Siew Leng Fun, URA.